Saturday, July 3, 2010

There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away - 
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry - 
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll - 
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human soul.
-Emily Dickinson

I love this poem.  I have been thinking a lot lately about why I write, and there are many reasons, this being one of them.  Books are accessable.  You could argue specifics, but compared to most experiences, books are generally available without a high cost.  It's amazing to think that you could reach so many people with your thoughts.  (I guess if your thoughts are deemed publish-worthy, lol!)

10 comments:

Harvee said...

I like the poem too. It describes perfectly why we read and write. Good luck with your efforts at a first book. I'm also trying the same:)

Theresa Milstein said...

What a wonderful poem. Being a reader is a privilege, but being a writer is a gift. Even though it's a gift that causes angst. I love this quote:

“Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader. Not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.”
- E.L. Doctorow

This is what I strive for.

Old Kitty said...

Wonderful poem, thank you!!

This is the best reason for the existence of the written word and why writers write!!

To reach out beyond any physical boundaries!

I'm ignoring the reality of getting published! :-)

Take care
x

Aubrie said...

That's a great poem! Books really transport me to other worlds.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've always loved that poem as well. Books can do it all - amazing things really :)

Laura S. said...

Great poem! So true; reading novels, and if you're lucky enough to write them, truly is an inexpensive, fascinating way to explore new worlds, ideas, and people.

Unknown said...

Yay, Emily Dickinson :) The chariot that bears the human soul... I love that.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Great poem! Makes one glad to be a writer. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The poem is beautiful. And so why I'm down with the Kindle. I like the experience of reading a book, turning the pages, the smell of them if it's old....

Talli Roland said...

Beautiful poem. I love Emily! It is so true - nothing can move us to other places like a book!