Monday, February 14, 2011

First Dates, Red Velvet Cupcakes, and No Love for Blogger

Handsome Hubby and I were sophomores in college when we had our first date - a concert with a bunch of friends and back to the dorm to watch Rock Horror Picture Show.  Romantic, huh?  Hehe... well.. it wasn't really even meant to be a date, just a fun time with friends.  Funny how things work out. :)  That was on February 11, 1995.  16 years ago.  We were 20. :)  To this day, we celebrate First Date Day on Feb. 11 instead of Valentine's Day. :)  This year, on First Date Day, I sent HH some of these at work:
Shari's Berries - http://www.berries.com/
And guess what he put under my pillow?

Oh yes he did.  An entire box of 18 King Size Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bars.  I laughed so hard I cried.  Seriously. :)  I will have chocolate until the end of tiiiiiiime! :D  Now that's love.

Speaking of love, over the weekend, Brad Jaeger posted the following fantastic recipe for red velvet cupcakes, which I am stealing from him to post here (which he stole from http://www.allrecipes.com/).  I made these with my girls yesterday and OH.  MY.  GOODNESS.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 oz red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.

2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.

3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Frost with vanilla cream cheese frosting.

Frosting Directions

1. Beat cream cheese, softened, butter, sour cream and vanilla extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.

HEAVENLY HOMEMADE GOODNESS!
 
I wasn't sure how my kids would like cream cheese frosting but there was love in abundance.  Now guess what?  I wanted to show you a picture of such red tastiness.  But I can't.  Because Blogger says that my picture album is full and that I am welcome to purchase more picture space.  You should see the teacher look I am giving Blogger right now at this lack of cooperative attitude.  Yes, Blogger, I know that other blog, the one I use to keep my family updated, is a little picture heavy.  I can't help it.  My girls are cute.  Sue me.  But apparently I need to get on some deleteage or I will never be able to share pictures with you again!  (Cause, um, I'm not buying picture space, Blogger.  Get over yourself.  No?  Get over myself and delete some pictures?  Grumble...)

14 comments:

RottenMom said...

Sweet story and what a sweet husband you have! Love the whole box full of candy bars!

Rachel Searles said...

That box of chocolate bars is awesome :) What a great husband!

Natascha said...

I was happy with my chocolate too :) Happy VDay!

Dan Schwent said...

If I hadn't gotten my girlfriend a bouquet of chocolate covered strawberries, I would have attempted these cupcakes.

vic caswell said...

hee hee hee! how cute are you that you've used up all your picture space with pics of tr and cj! sounds like you had an awesome first date day! (the actual first one and the remembrance ones!) :)

Roxy said...

Wow. That is one nice husband and a great-looking red velvet cupcake. Glad to hear your celebration went well.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Ummm... those chocolate bars wouldn't last a month in my house. I'm impressed with your self-restraint!

And I plan to print out your red velvet cupcake recipe. I love red velvet cake, but haven't found a perfect recipe for it. Yet!

Unknown said...

Hehe, yeah, my hubby is a total sweet thang. :) I am a lucky lady indeed!

Old Kitty said...

Awwwww you truly can't get more romantic than watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show! Yay!! :-)

Glad you had a brilliant Valentine's!!!! The recipe sounds so scrummily yummy!!! Take care
x

Abby Minard said...

OMG, I can't believe you have to pay for more space for pictures! I never heard of that!

Those cupcakes sound to die for. I saw his recipe the other day, and I absolutely love red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. I may have to try that.

And i Love that you guys celebrate first date night. So stinkin cute.

Rebecca T. said...

Those chocolate strawberries make me wish I could make food materialize through my computer screen. mmmm...

Jen said...

Very sweet story :D
I gave my husband choco strawberries too. He LOVES them!
Glad your Valentine's Day was a good one :D

~Jen

Hannah said...

hahaha! Best presents eva! I love it.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'm loving the chocolatey goodness.
Blogger has a limit on picture space???!!!!?!!!!! eek!