Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Words, The Words, The Music in Words

"He arranged his dignity around him with a few carefully placed licks." (a cat)

"His face was grooved like a winter road."

"He tipped his chin up and smiled at one and all, chattering like a baby bird - but he listened like an empty well."

"He moved like a jumping jack that was strung too  loosely, so that he seemed about to turn a flip or clatter into a pile of bones and string."

"The white coat bleached him further, made him look like a painting that had half washed away."

I am reading Plain Kate by Erin Bow, and enjoying her turns of phrase as much as the story itself.  Her words conjure up very clear images, and the book reads like you're listening to an old storyteller.

And in the little bit of writing time I've had today, I've worked out some story and gotten words on the page, but there is no music to them.  Sometimes music and story come together.  Sometimes... I'm thankful for revision. :)

12 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

These are great selections. I defintely need to read that book!
Good luck with your writing!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

For me most of the magic happens during revision. I wish it just flowed out of my fingertips onto my keyboard, but alas, most of the magic is hard work.

storyqueen said...

I am dying to read Plain Kate. I have heard the writing described as magical....just the kind of book I want to read.

Shelley

Susie Swanson said...

Love this,I am your latest follower and I love your blog.

Unknown said...

I am not quite halfway through Plain Kate but enjoying it very much, so I recommend it so far! :) Her language is lovely and the story is interesting.

Kathi - Good to know I'm not the only one whose words don't always flow like gold the first time. :) Ahh, well. I wrinkle my nose now and tell them I'll be back to deal with them later.

Susie - Thank you and welcome! :D

Larissa said...

The book that I am reading right now, The Book Thief, has a lot of writing like that too. I love it when authors can do that with their writing, but it makes me so jealous at the same time!

Catherine Denton said...

Sigh. Those excerpts were beautiful. I must read this book!

Old Kitty said...

The book sounds lovely - the phrases you chose are gorgeous. Thanks for the review and info!! Yay that you've got some writing done too!! Take care
x

Tracy said...

Ahhh, isn't it fun when words sing? I think it is what we all strive for!

Unknown said...

I have The Book Thief on my shelf, have heard such great things about it! It will definitely be one of my next reads... :)

Sarah said...

Those were great selections! Some writers really have a gift for that imagery. It's so hard to do--and easy to get wrong. Plain Kate sounds like a wonderful book!

Stephanie Thornton said...

I like those little pieces. I'm currently reading The Lotus Eaters and enjoying it for the same reason-- excellent story, but really gorgeous language!