Sunday, January 17, 2010

Don't Ban the Book.... That I Haven't Written Yet

Ohh, dilemma.  I am still excited about the idea for this story but the more I research  the topic, the more I wonder if it's a little bit too political.  I mean, it's fiction, but I don't want people screaming that it's an attempt to persuade older children/young adults to think in a particular way about a current issue.  It's not propaganda.  It's just a story idea.  I just want to write my story, not defend my position on political and scientific issues or alienate any large groups of people who position themselves differently on an issue than I do.  Ugh.  Do all authors worry about this stuff before they even write? 

That was a rhetorical question, but yes, I'm sure plenty of them do.  Ok.  Step back.  Breathe.  Think.  I know that one problem I have as a writer is that my lack of time makes me think that every spare moment of writing time that I have needs to be spent WRITING.  Making PROGRESS.  I don't want to spare any time thinking or just ruminating on an idea, because my precious hubby is downstairs with both girls, allowing me unfettered time to pursue my dream, about which I am eternally grateful, but I need to be realistic with myself - writing without thought is bound to be crappy. :)  I need to be ok with time spent thinking and plotting and planning and not every second in forward writing motion.  Hear that, Type A Self?  CHILL.

So I took my own advide and chilled for a moment and realized that a change in storyline can skirt the majority of Joe Political topic and still retain the integrity of the idea.  I think I've got it.  Or at least the Second Incarnation of It.  I'm sure there will be many more.  WHEW.  Just a bump in the road.  Now, to reasearch in another direction...

0 comments: