Thursday, February 4, 2010

First Line

Eeeeeeg.  Opening lines are hard.  I have decided to choose one of the scenes I described and just... go.  I need to start somewhere, right?  I imagine that if I need to change scenes or add them or move them around, the story will let me know.

So I can picture the scene in my mind but of course the doubt kicks in - Would this sound better in first person?  How do I write a first line that will suck people in?

The weird thing about writing is the complete openness of a blank page (or screen).  There really is no direction.  Once I get started, momentum will begun to take over, but I think I am stressing too much over the opening line.  Lol.. I'd better get over it - there are a lot more lines to go!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I have it. For now. Until I decide to go with one of my other choices as the opening scene and need to think of a new one.

Ms. Sasaki said...

I felt the same thing like you ;) but when we find the words it's just like waterfall, but when I start a new chapter I stuck again >.< see the blank screen lol. Anyway hope you can find the first line and write down your story :) Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Felicia! I totally agree with you - a waterfall is the perfect way to describe it when the words start to gush out. :) Thank goodness for those "waterfall" moments! Good luck to you, too. I love your pic!

Lindsey :)

Anissa said...

I hope you found your first line. :) If not, just start writing. Odds are you'll change the beginning MANY times before typing The End.

Unknown said...

No doubt!

Oh... The End... I think I saw those words once, in a dream... :)