Friday, February 5, 2010

An Open Letter to My Characters

Dear Characters,

I would appreciate it if you would reveal to me your names.  Your story is unfurling most happily (well, the story isn't always very happy, but the writer is most joyful that the story is unfurling).  However, only one of you has been kind enough to share with me your name.  The rest of you stinkers are sitting about giggling at the temporary names I have given you in lieu of your real ones.  Names that do not fit.  So if you would be so kind, you may whisper your "YES, I can't picture him/her with ANY other name" name to me at any time, I promise to listen. 

Sincerely,
The Slave to Your Whims

9 comments:

Mary E Campbell said...

It is hard to name characters - I have a hard time too. I probably spend way too much time trying to pick a name, but until I have the right name everything feels off.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and becoming a follower. Also thank you for the link to my contest - I appreciate it. Love the striped socks.

Kristin Rae said...

Be sure to stop by my blog today!!!!!!!! HINT HINT!!

Unknown said...

Characters can be so silly sometimes with-holding information!!! Just doesn't seem right! Hopefully in time they will show themselves!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kristin! Yippee! I won her contest!!! :D

I know, Mary & Jen... I am trying to write with the names I have given them and it's just not quite right. :/ Hopefully I'll figure it out soon... fortunately, my MC took pity on me this morning and finally told me hers! It feels like a puzzle piece fell into place. :)

Michelle Gregory said...

(i slunk on in from "i should be writing). i love this post, esp. the way you signed it with "The slave to your whims." isn't that the way of it? i really wish they wouldn't wake me up at 2AM demanding to be heard.

btw, also love the name of your blog.

Unknown said...

Ooh, a slunker! You are my kinda gal, Michelle. :) Thank you for your lovely post!

Darn those characters... we are at their mercy, which is so unfair, because without us, they wouldn't exist! *grumble* thinktheyhavemerightwheretheywantme *grumble*

Unknown said...

This is the funniest blog post I've read in a while! Best of luck getting those stinkers to speak up and introduce themselves properly.

Happy weekend!
~Nicole~

Kit Courteney said...

Fantastic blog!

I don't know where you found me (thanks for following btw) but I'm glad you did :0)

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting and following, Nicole & Kit! Hope you come back soon. :)

Nicole... My 2 MC's have given me first names only so far... I guess they like the slow reveal, lol... but at least it's something to work with!