Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Heart the Interwebs

Can I tell you how much I love the internet?  (Thanks, Al Gore).  Last month, I was able to find exactly the info I needed to understand and utilize the scientific info I need for my story.

This morning, I am home (sadly, to attend a funeral later this morning), and trying to squeeze in some writing during this rare alone time.  I am jumping into the first scene, and I needed to describe something - voila, found a picture online. 

I guess it does take a little bit of the old fashioned legwork out of writing, and yes, I would love to travel to the setting that I am describing, and sense it firsthand, don't get me wrong.  But jobs and kids don't really allow for random trips to Undisclosed Story Location.  Maybe in the spring during spring break!  Until then, though, Internet, MWAH!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't think I've commented here before, so just so you know, "cryngfreeman" is me: BEB.

I understand completely. I was writing a Twilight fanfic for my friend Mellisa (I know, I KNOW) and I needed a picture of an Italian pool table lamp. Voila! Thank you internet. I also utilized the Twilight wiki for the story. Not the dead sea scrolls, but research is research. I'm glad you're making progress! (I vote for the scientific beginning, btw). Can't wait to read this puppy!

Anissa said...

Isn't the internet fabulous for research? Times,they are a changing. :)

lora96 said...

Hey I love love love the internet research because I can get little tidbits of info I need w/o reading a ton about something otherwise too unexciting to read about!

E.G. I have a minor character in my WIP who wants to be a sword master. Looked it up. Voila--pell training--a few more simple concepts and weaponry terms and I do not have to read a big old book on swords. I'm more of a Jane Austen chick myself.

:)